IRS Instagram Image

What Is Your IRS Tax Problem?

I haven’t filed an Income Tax Return (in years)  

If you have unfiled tax returns we can surely get you back on track and into compliance. Our firm is unique being a law firm that offers in house tax return preparation services.  Alternatively, you may use our Guide to Filing Past Due Tax Returns. Once tax returns have been processed and if there is a balance due, we can assist in setting up an installment agreement. 

I made a mistake on my Tax Return 

If after filing your income tax return, you realized that you made a mistake. A tax return containing errors may be corrected by either the IRS or the taxpayer.  If the IRS discovers a mistake it will make an adjustment and notify the taxpayer by mail. The taxpayer can either agree with the adjustment or disagree and reply to the notice.  If the taxpayer has not received a tax notice and the due date to file the return has passed the taxpayer may correct the mistake by amending the tax return. However, if the tax return filing deadline has not passed the taxpayer should not submit an amended return but instead file another original tax return with correct information. 

Note: if the mistake is not material (i.e. a minor mistake) I may recommend doing nothing.  For example, a taxpayer who failed to report a dividend income of $12 on a tax return can do nothing and not lose any sleep at night.

I received a Tax Notice

It is normal to be nervous after receiving mail from the Internal Revenue Service. All IRS letters should be opened immediately as many of these notices are time-sensitive and may require a timely answer to preserve your legal rights.  If you need assistance with a tax notice we are here to help!  Additionally, we prepared a How to Guide for Responding to IRS Letters for your benefit.

I have Tax Debt 

If you owe back taxes you may be in the IRS’s Automated Collection System. Our first step is to investigate and determine if you owe the underlining tax.  It is common for a taxpayer to fail to respond to a tax notice causing the case to proceed to collections (see Taxpayer Roadmap).  Additionally, when the taxpayer does not respond to a tax notice proposing an adjustment the IRS will make the adjustment final. If we determine that you should not owe the underlining tax we may request an audit reconsideration. If however the amount you owe is not in dispute but you are unable to pay the amount due there are options:

  • Non Collectible Status
  • Installment Agreement
  • Offer in Compromise

I am being Audited (Help Me)

If your tax return has been selected for examination we can represent you.  The benefit of retaining representation is that you will not communicate directly with the IRS. Additionally, the tax professional representing you will have experience dealing with tax matters. If your representative is an Attorney your communications will be protected by Attorney-Client Privilege.

I disagree with the IRS 

If you disagree with a proposed assessment you have a right to request an appeal.  The IRS Office of Appeals is independent of IRS Compliance (Examination & Collections) and will work to resolve your issues in a fair and impartial manner.  Another option available for taxpayers who disagree with the IRS is to petition tax court.  However, this option is available only after the taxpayer has received a statutory notice of deficiency

I have Payroll Tax Problems 

Not making payroll tax deposits is a mistake!  There may be times when a business is short on cash and unable to meet all its financial obligations. That being said, I would recommend not paying OTHER business expenses before payroll tax deposits.  The IRS can hold certain individuals personally liable who are required to collect, account for, and pay over taxes held in trust and willfully fails to perform any of these activities.  If the IRS assigns a Revenue Officer to your case to inquire about trust fund taxes we recommend you retain a tax lawyer.

I have a Federal Tax Lien

Once a tax lien is filed it is public record and the taxpayer can expect to be contacted by tax resolutions companies. Many taxpayers are embarrassed about the tax lien and their  tax debt.  Generally speaking, the way to remove a tax lien is by paying the tax debt in full.  However, an IRS tax lien may be withdrawn before being satisfied but only under certain circumstances see IRS Lien Notice Withdrawal.

I need to stop the IRS from seizing my property

A Tax Levy is the taking of property as payment against a tax debt. The taxpayer does have rights available to prevent a levy and to offer other collection alternatives at a Collection Due Process Hearing.  The best way to prevent a levy is to respond to tax notices and if possible set up an Installment Agreement, or submit an Offer in Compromise to the IRS.

How we handle non-filer situations and tax debt matters


Our Process for Resolving Your Tax Issue