IRS Instagram Image

What is your IRS Tax Problem?

I need to File

If you have prior year unfiled tax returns we can surely get you back on track and into compliance. Our firm is unique being a law firm that offers in house tax return preparation services a benefit for non-filers.  However, you may choose to hire an outside tax professional to prepare returns. Alternatively, you can use our Guide to Filing Past Due Tax Returns. After tax returns have been processed and if necessary we can assist in setting up an installment agreement with the IRS.

I received a Tax Notice

It is normal to be nervous about receiving mail from the Internal Revenue Service.  It is ok to be nervous but IRS letters should be opened immediately as many of these notices are time sensitive and may require a timely answer to preserve your legal rights.  If you need assistance with a tax notice we are here to help!  Additionally, we prepared a Guide to Responding to IRS Letters & Notices to help you.

I owe Back Taxes

If you owe back taxes you may be in the automated collections system.  The first thing we would do is investigate and determine if you owe the underlining tax.  It is common for a taxpayer to fail to respond to a tax notice causing the case to proceed further through the system below (see Taxpayer Roadmap).  Additionally, when taxpayer does not respond to a tax notice with a proposed adjustment the IRS will make adjustment final generally resulting in a substantial tax increase. If we determine that you should not owe the underlining tax we may request an audit reconsideration.  If however the amount you owe is not in dispute and you are currently unable to pay the amount due there are options:

I am being Audited (Help Me)

If your tax return has been selected for examination we can represent you.  The benefit of retaining representation is that you will not communicate directly with the IRS. Additionally, the tax professional representing you will have experience dealing with the IRS. If your representative is an Attorney communications will be protected by Attorney-Client Privilege.

I disagree with the IRS 

If you disagree with a proposed assessment or examination change you have a right to request an appeal.  The IRS Office of Appeals is independent of IRS Compliance (Examination & Collections) and will work to resolve your issues in a fair and impartial manner.  Another option available for taxpayers who disagree with the IRS is to petition tax court.  However, this option is only available once taxpayer has received a statutory notice of deficiency. 

I have Payroll Tax Problems 

Not making payroll tax deposits is a mistake!  I understand there may be times when a business is short cash and unable to timely pay bills.  That being said, I would recommend not paying OTHER business expenses before payroll tax deposits.  The IRS can hold certain individuals personally liable who are required to collect, account for, and pay over taxes held in trust and willfully fails to perform any of these activities.  If the IRS assigns a Revenue Officer to your case to inquire about trust fund taxes we recommend you retain a tax lawyer.

I have a Federal Tax Lien

Once a tax lien is filed it is public record and taxpayer can expect to be contacted by tax resolutions companies. Many taxpayers are embarrassed about the tax lien and their unpaid tax debt.  Generally speaking the way to remove a tax lien is paying the tax debt in full.  However, an IRS tax lien may be withdrawn before being satisfied but only under certain circumstances see IRS Lien Notice Withdrawal.

I need to stop the IRS from seizing my property

A Tax Levy is the taking of property as payment against a tax debt. The taxpayer does have rights available to prevent a levy and to offer other collection alternatives at a Collection Due Process Hearing.  The best way to prevent a levy is to respond to tax notices and if possible setup an Installment Agreement, or submit an Offer in Compromise with the IRS.